Friday, April 17, 2009

Five Nationalities Post

For the project assigned by Michelle Feldman, I had to write 5 different poems. The assignment was in response to the novel Native Son. Since the novel dealt with the issues and problems caused by racial profiling and stereotyping, I decided to write my 5 poems on the common stereotypes different nationalities are faced with. I, conveniently, happen to be descended of 5 different nationalities: English, Irish, Swedish, German and French (I know, I'm very caucasian). So, below are my poems, they're each in a different style, in keeping with the diversity between all the various cultures. Enjoy!


Five Nationality Poems

 

 

Swedish

I’m a little Swedish girl

Which means I must wear braids

My complexion: fair and milky

My hair in golden waves

Often unnoticed goes my people

All’s known of our diet is Swedish Meatballs

 

 

French

Snooty. Haughty.

These are words to describe me.

I am rude. I am demeaning.

I am French.

 

But this is a lie, a fallacy bold.

My people are noble, our roots old.

At the hub of the world I reside

My king secure in mirrored Versailles.

I am French.

 

Truth. Beauty.

Freedom. Love.

My Bohemian Revolution-

Where these ideals sprang from.

I am French.

 

 

English

The Queen! The Queen! Here comes the Queen!

Here in Great Britain, we love to hear this scream.

We are loyal, noble, proud and polite.

Tea and crumpets daily at one? Quite!

Our flag is bold, our history grand,

Our conquests are many, our accent is bland.

Here in Great Britain our teeth are not straight.

Our landmarks quite famous, Big Ben tall and great.

 

 

German

We’re the losers of World Wars one and two-

Ostracization for the mistakes of a few.

Our history is richer than this.

Chubby faces, chocolate bars.

Rosy cheeks and packed beer bars.

Aside from the negative, this is what’s known.

We are a simple people now-

Good food, friends, once again proud.

 

 

Irish

If you’re Irish you must:

Drink a lot, and be rowdy while doing so.

Have at least one kilt and eat loads of potatoes.

Know how to Riverdance- who can’t do that?

Have a lilting, trilling voice, not one that’s dull and flat.

Know how to sing bawdy songs in a pub

And if you’re having bad luck, give your four-leaf clover a rub.

Have lots of babies and be Catholic- Praise God!

Wish for pots of gold and chase after leprechauns.





Above is the cover page I created for the book of poems that will undoubtedly be put together some day when I'm very famous. :)

If you'd like to see the original assignment, view Michelle's blog, linked here.

No comments:

Post a Comment